Friday, August 9, 2013

An Ode to Darwin and St. Francis



You and I disagree, we don't see eye to eye;
What can I do to bridge the gap? Should I even try?

If I were strong, I might use force, to make you bend your knee.
I'd get my way for a little while - until someone sets you free.

If I were smart, we might debate, until I won my case.
I'd get my way for a little while - until smarter words, my words erase.

If I were many, I'd call for a vote; and if I were the majority,
I'd get my way for a little while - until I became the minority.


If I were weak, perhaps I'd beg and play upon your emotion.
I might get my way for a little while - until another claimed your devotion.

If I were a prophet, I'd call for justice - a "Year of Jubilee."
Truth may conquer, but maybe not - you may choose not to see.

You and I disagree, we don't see eye to eye;
What can I do to bridge the gap? Should I even try?

Perhaps my kind should find a way, to make it on our own -
Not depend on who you are, or the lyrics of your song.

Detach ourselves from all we can - live simple, slow and free.
Trust God and Charles and Francis - breathe deep and let it be.


No comments:

Post a Comment