Saturday, August 29, 2009

Why?

I've been thinking of the girl in the news today who was kidnapped at age 11 and held as a slave for 18 years in the kidnappers backyard...bearing him two children. I have 3 daughters and the thought of such a tragic event leaves me asking why a loving, all powerful God allows such horror. I know all the traditional answers, but I also know that if that were my daughter, those answers would probably not satisfy me.

Is there an explanation? No, only a response. Job's wife told Job to "curse God and die", but Job said, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust Him." I trust that somehow God was with her at some level beyond our comprehension, ...and that even though she must have cried out many times in 11 year old language, "Why hast Thou forsaken me?", there was and still will be a "resurrection" for her and her family.

Often, it's the fact that we don't know very much about life and eternity that gives me hope... that the answers to life's most difficult questions lie in that vast realm of unknowing. I simply trust that "the God of all the earth... will do what's right" and someday will "wipe away all tears from our eyes". I pray for her and her family's healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment